Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hello from below the Mason-Dixon Line

So readers, you find me for the first time below the mason-dixon line. I don't count D.C. or florida because although they are in fact geographically "southern" states, I don't really think they count.

Charleston, SC. is ok. This port stop actually hasn't been as great as we'd be hoping. The dock is nice, there are some restuarants in walking distance, there are a few bars, some decent shopping but something over all just irks me and a few other people and as a result the stop hasn't been as relaxing as we'd hoped.


I've decided that I'm going to try to get into the patagonia catalouge. This picture is one of my early efforts, its a work in progress.

Camden called me a yesterday. She'd never called me before so I was pretty surprised but it was really great talking to her. I hope the rest of you all are all well.

Soon we'll be off to Norfolk, VA. If I get a chance I'll update again! I bet you can't wait.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:03 AM

    Two notes:

    -DC is not a state.

    -I actually can't wait until the next update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:04 PM

    I talked to Dave on AIM yesterday, he said Norfolk has a nice dock.

    Your comment about Florida is interesting. In my mind, Florida and Georgia have the most interesting histories among the Southern states. Spanish colonists founded St. Augustine, the "oldest city in America," in 1565 (I know this only because my grandparents used to go there in the winter). Georgia was created specifically for debtors and convicts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 PM

    just wanted to say that this update and this photo are the reasons why i will never want or need to consult anyone else when buying any sort of gear. out of your many ventures in life, dave, i think making the patagonia catalogue is definitely my favorite. when can i see you again so you can help me upgrade my bike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo embodies the spirit of any sea shanty I've ever heard. If they don't put you in the catalogue, they're not worth the sea salt that's collected in your hair. It made me grin stupidly at my desk – one of those smiles that I had to force down to maintain an appropriate office demeanor. Thanks for being Dave. :) HD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:47 PM

    dave mortimer...

    I just sent you an email to your bowdoin account, but it got bounced back to me. Perhaps it doesn't work anymore. Read this article and remember a conversation that we once had in Cramer's laboratory.

    http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/news/economy/vegetable_cars/index.htm?

    Some other reading I was doing talked a lot about ethanol being a much
    more viable fuel alternative for large scale production. If you are
    interested, have a look at this stuff below. What is really
    interesting is the process of making ethanol not only from corn, but
    from any carbon-containing material.... read turning your lawn
    clippings or sewage sludge into fuel? That's a more viable option than
    the .07% boost that the fryer oil industry has to offer. And from the
    sounds of it, the technology is not that far away to make it happen.

    (.07% =small)

    http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/22/news/economy/cellulose_ethanol/index.htm
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/23/technology/futureboy0623.biz2/index.htm

    hope all's well!
    morgan

    ReplyDelete