Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The force is strong with this one

As evidenced by my last post I've been thinking about evolution and religion recently. The question has been raised, can one reconcile religious belief with science? And I've come to the conclusion that at least I can't. If you are the strictest definition of a religious person, you hold content of your religious text to be true. What science proposes as the history of the universe, including all interactions on our own planet, is really at odds with religious texts. Can you really believe in evolution and believe in the bible or the koran or anything else at the same time? I personally can't.

I was telling lila that I don't think I believe in anything religious and that I think I'm an atheist. But then I decided that isn't really true, I believe in science. And one of the central tenants to all science is the first law of thermodynamics. Energy is conserved. Also, for something to exist it has to have some energy. Check out this debate. So one might say that energy flows throughout everything, binding everything together in one universal manner? Sound familiar? I'm not an atheist, I'm a jedi.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:37 PM

    There is something out there that I believe in even though it is cannot be reconciled with the current state of science because I believe that without it, the universe could not exist. Sure, it's based on some assumptions that, one could argue, are purely human constructs, but I assume these to be true because they make the world easier to comprehend and understand.

    I'm talking of course about the unified theory of physics.

    ReplyDelete