Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mostly done with Build

Well, I never got that CPU cooler made by Arctic Cooling to work... turns out it required a 76 cent rentention module to use on a FX socket, so I ordered it, direct from Hong Kong btw, and naturally USPS tried to deliver it, but didn't tell anyone they tried to deliver it... I figured this out yesterday afternoon and then went and picked up this piece of shit piece of plastic today. I say it is a POS because either there is something screwy going on, or Arctic Cooling sent me the wrong module... it is certainly not compatible. So I gave up on that cooler, went to the Microcenter, bought a cooler master geminii s524, installed it without a problem at all, then promptly overclocked to 3.8 ghz! I got it up to 4.2, but I wasn't able to stably run prime95, although other activities seemed ok. Prime95 seems cool with the 3.8 ghz overclock, but I haven't done the overnight stress test yet. Not sure if I need to really. Here's the new Novabench score... a modest increase.

NovaBench Score

All in all, I'm pretty happy, I've got an overclocked GPU and CPU... I haven't messed with the memory yet, I've got 16gigs, but I'm not really pushing the limits yet.

1 comment:

  1. This is the very reason I don't bother building machines anymore. All those frustrating little details that don't end up working perfectly. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape though. Now do you have any time to use the thing? :)

    ReplyDelete