Thursday, April 09, 2009

Last minute

Well today was an adventure...
I've misplaced my passport, I can't find it anywhere, and I've really looked. So a few days ago, I made an appointment at the Regional Passport Office in New York City. Basically, you can go in with the proper forms and get a passport same day, or next day.

I print my forms, fill them out, print out my proof of immediate travel, get my passport photos taken, get my certified copy of my birth certificate, and get all this prepared the day before. This morning, I wake up, and I get ready to go. Then I look to make sure I have everything, and the photos are gone! Completely gone. They were in an envelope, and now the are not. I assume that they slid out of the envelope somehwere...

What do you do at 7:00 in the morning when your appointment is at 8am and you need passport photos? Well you do what I did... freak out. Thankfully, Lila was thinking and made me stand against the wall (which is white) and she took some pictures with me with her camera. I raced down to Rite Aid, printed the photos then hailed a cab.

While I was in the cab, I measured and trimmed the photos to 2x2. Lila equipped me with sisccors and a ruler before I left.

I got to the passport office a few minutes late, but it wasn't a big deal. They sent me right up. Then the passport agent looked over my documents. I breathed this huge sigh of relief when he stapled the photo to the form.

It all worked out. I get my new passport tomorrow and I'll be able to go to mexico on Sunday.

Let this be a lesson to you. Don't loose your passport. If you have photos taken, SEAL the envelope. And, if you do it right, you can take your own pictures. Lucky for me, Lila was thinking this morning, instead of freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment